Some of the finest children's literature in the country is created by Michigan artists. To help you know these authors and illustrators and their work, we have compiled and offer several lists.
We encourage bookstores and libraries to create displays of books by Michigan artists and to contact these authors/illustrators for book signings and promotions. Check out these new and forthcoming books by Michigan authors and illustrators!
Michigan Children's Book Authors and Illustrators
- Quick Reference: Michigan Children's Book Authors and Illustrators
- Authors/illustrators alphabetically by last name, including genre of their books
Detailed Reference: Michigan Children's Book Authors and Illustrators
- Includes author's/illustrator's hometown, website, email, books, genre, publisher, and publication date
If you wish to hire authors and illustrators to speak at your school, library, or organization, see our Speakers List.
- Authors and Illustrators of Other Media for Children
- Members Producing Media (other than books) for Children: authors and illustrators published in magazines or anthologies/collections, or those producing educational materials other than books. This includes articles, poems, short stories, puzzles, games, cartoons, as well as films, CDs, DVDs, etc. This list is alphabetical by member's last name.
- Authors and Illustrators of Adult Media
- Members Producing Media for Adults: magazine and newspaper columnists, authors and illustrators of books, those producing articles, poetry, cartoons, etc. as well as resources for teachers and other educators. This list is alphabetical by member's last name
We are proud of our members and their achievements. Lynne Rae Perkins won the 2006 Newbery Medal for her novel Criss-Cross; Patricia Polacco's books grace library shelves across the country, and Lisa Wheeler captured the interest of four major publishers and within five years had twenty-two picture books on shelves everywhere, with more coming.
Visit the websites of these Michigan members, professionals who have dedicated an extraordinary amount of their time to help SCBWI-Michigan. We thank them all.
Janie Bynum, author & illustrator, instrumental in the launch of this website
Shutta Crum, author, annual Summer Schmooze Hostess Extaordinaire, active michkids participant
Rhonda Gowler Greene author, 2005 Mentor for Picture Book Writers
Monica A. Harris, author, Adcom member, Michigan Regional CoRA 2009-2011
Susan Kathleen Hartung, illustrator, former Adcom member, Newsletter columnist, 2006 Mentor for Illustrators
Leslie Helakoski, author & illustrator, Illustrator Coordinator, Adcom member, Michigan Regional CoRA 2009-2011
Lori McElrath-Eslick, illustrator, 2003 Mentor for Illustrators
Ruth McNally Barshaw, author & illustrator, Adcom member
Shirley Neitzel, author, Michigan Regional Advisor 2000 - 2002
Sue Stauffacher, author, 2005 Mentor for Novelists
Hope Vestergaard, author, Newsletter
Lisa Wheeler, author, Newsletter
-this page was updated 20 January 2009-